Rebecca turned 13 today, so now I officially have a teenager! She has definitely grown up a lot this year (in many good ways). Not only is she taller than her grandma, she has totally loved being a babysitter & earning some of her own money. I love how she is so creative and fun with kids. I think she is Josh's 2nd favorite person because she spends so much time doting over him. He'd probably like her best if he wasn't still searching for his milk source :)
Rebecca is super motivated and conscientious in school. This year she was surprised to get the highest score on both the Science & Language Arts ISATs (Standardized Achievement Tests) out of her entire 7th grade! She also worked super hard (in Honors math) so she could get straight A's. It's nice that her conscientious behaviors have also trickled over into caring for her teeth with braces, so I don't have to worry.
Her favorite classes in school are yearbook (she's a natural writer) & choir. Last month she was so brave and sang a beautiful solo in sacrament meeting.
I love how she has started cleaning her room and the bathroom every morning before school!
Yesterday it was a treat for me to browse throught her school journal . A few excerpts that I loved w/my comments in blue)
"My main goals in life are to go to college, get married and have kids... because I value marriage and families and I just really want to go to college." I had the same goals as a teenager & feel so blessed that my plans worked out... even though they are a lot harder than I dreamed up back then.:)
"15 years from now, I plan to be married, have a college degree in family science or teaching.(If I were to do it again, I'd pick teaching... family science was interesting but not a great backup plan if my husband dies young)
I should have three kids and have a food blog on the internet. Life will be hard as a stay at home mom (SAHM) but I will manage. My husband will bring me home pizza when I've had a hard day. (She learned this from her awesome dad's example :)
I may teach piano. ( I don't enjoy piano but it makes a lot more money than working at McDonalds).
And this is my favorite part, so Rebecca-like
I will astound my children by making culinary wonders, such as...
cake batter whipped cream
cake batter pudding (tastes excellent when it's warm)
butter pecan dip
german chocolate popcorn
mozzarella stuffed meatballs
banana cream pie popcorn Yum!
Looks like she inherited my sugar addiction, but her amazing vocabulary is all her own. I guess that's what happens when you constantly read books and blogs.
She is a witty writer- a lesson on making a difference...
"I decided to make a difference.
I began by looking at my candy. There was way too much. I had to make a difference. I began by eating candy. (Reminds me of an elementary school subtraction problem!)
I can feel the difference. now I feel really full. I have made a difference.
I decided to make a difference so I cleaned my room. Now I can see the difference.
Moral of the story:Now we see that not all differences are good. Some are really good, but not all.
Rebecca amazes me with her creative writing abilities because the extent of my creative writing starts and ends with a little story I struggled to compose "The Day it Rained Strawberries"
A little excerpt from Rebecca's writing : " If she didn't keep moving she would freeze to death. So driven by that inner core of strength that had gotten her thus far, she continued on. She finally saw a light on a hill and knocked on the door. An old woman came to the door. She had white hair in a bun with wisps falling into her face. The hands that opened the door were gnarled and old, connected to skinny arms with bulging veins. Her face was so wrinkly it was as if you could drown in the crevices.
I am so happy to have Rebecca in my life! Happy Birthday Becca!
Thursday, May 23, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment