Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Having a Ball

Last weekend Jared took the oldest kids down to see the BYU Game and let Becca hang out with her friend who moved to Utah.  The "Littles" were pretty devastated about being left behind as he drove away.  Alyssa figured that being dressed (in summer clothes) with her pjs in hand was enough of a ticket for dad to let her come with him.  But since one of the seatbelts is broken in the car, it wasn't an option. 
After being pretty sick with the flu for half of the week, my house was looking pretty chaotic with piles of laundry and dirty dishes.  It was my plan to tackle it that evening.  But with 3 kids in tears I could see I wasn't going to get much done.  I decided instead to have a spur of the moment princess party.  We turned out the lights, ignored the clutter and lit a scented candle for our feast.  We covered the table with a wrinkly white bedskirt with a pink ruffle, because Emily insisted that the pink "tablecloth" would be the most fitting for princesses.  We feasted on apple smiles, (apples w/ marshmallow teeth) heart shaped honey toast, apple juice in goblets and "the Queens" famous stew (taco soup) as we addressed each other in perfectly polite tones with our princess names (Queen Kristine, Princess Nicole and Princess Kathryn).  Prince Jared (Joshua) was safely strapped up in his high chair:)
After the feast we changed into our ball gowns and  danced around the family room to Beethoven's Emperor Concerto and a Disney Princess CD.  We ended the night with some princess stories and 2 very delighted girls who got to have a "sleepover" in Emily's room for the night.  I don't think I ever played pretend like this even as a child.  But it was definitely a night to remember and I wish I'd captured some pictures.
The next morning Emily woke up early and surprised me by doing all of the kitchen chores!

4 comments:

  1. awwww! that's so fun! so hard to look away from the messes, but I always have to remind myself my kids won't remember the mess. They will forever remember having such a sweet night with their mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I agree with any! I need to do that kind of thing more often

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are awesome, a wonderful time that your children will remember forever- Kami

    ReplyDelete