Pages

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Personal Progress

Rebecca asked me to help her complete some of her personal progress today and it was an inspiring experience for me to write a letter about her talents.  (At the end of this post)
When I was a teenager I loved the young women personal progress program.  I love setting goals.  I love creating checklists and feeling the satisfaction of checking things off of my list.  I now get to revisit personal progress with my daughter Rebecca and I love the way the program has evolved through the years.  I love the focus on developing divine attributes.  As an adult, I feel like the challenges still stretch me to improve.
I recently read over some of my journal that I wrote when I was about twelve years old.  I had goals to be less critical of others, be less judging, serve more around the home, and after almost 30 years, I'm still working to overcome the same weaknesses.  I love these personal progress challenges and in some ways wish that their was a program more spiritually focused like this for my sons.

"Make your home life better. For two weeks make a special effort to strengthen your relationship with a family member by showing love through your actions. Refrain from judging, criticizing, or speaking unkindly, and watch for positive qualities in that family member. Write notes of encouragement, pray for this family member, find ways to be helpful, and verbally express your love."

"Learn the definition of the word peacemaker. Then find and read five scriptures that teach about peacemakers. Become an example of a peacemaker in your home and at school as you refrain from criticizing, complaining, or speaking unkindly to or about others. Pray each morning and evening to Heavenly Father for help to do this. After two weeks write in your journal what new habits you want to develop, how being a peacemaker is part of your divine nature, and how you will continue to be a peacemaker."


The Savior chose to live a virtuous life. Follow His admonition to “learn of me” (D&C 19:23) by reading the entire Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ. Liken the scriptures to your life and circumstances. As you read, record your thoughts regularly in your journal. Note the example of the Savior. What did He and those who followed Him do to live virtuous lives? At the completion of your reading, record your testimony. 

Following is my (somewhat personal) letter to Rebecca, my amazing daughter, who I sometimes tend to be to critical of.  She is the oldest and I know the great potential she has been blessed with.


Rebecca,
You are blessed with a great mind and with the ability to remember the teachings of the gospel and the scriptures.  If you live as you believe I know it will bless your life greatly.
You are talented at being diligent and persistent, especially in your education.  I love how you set your goals high in your schoolwork and in your personal progress and you work hard without much assistance from your parents.
You are blessed with a natural creativity that was apparent from an early age in your writings and stories.  I now see it as you prepare your babysitting kit and play with your siblings in an expressive way.  Your children will be blessed because of your ability to have fun in a creative way.
You are a gifted writer and can articulate your ideas in both a fun and persuasive way.  This could really be a blessing to you and many others as you seek to share the gospel and your example in your writings both online and hopefully in future publications.
You are a natural at nurturing children and it pleases me to see you care for Joshua and see the special relationship he is developing with his big sister “Ca Ca” who he begs for the moment he awakens in the morning.
You are blessed with a beautiful voice and a natural ability to read music, even though I know it is not one of your favorite things to practice piano.  I have been amazed at your willingness to share your talents at church, and I know if you continue to you can lift many lives.
You have great courage.  This has especially been made apparent to me as you faced your fears and tried out for the basketball team this year, even though you had little previous experience.  When I was your age I did not exhibit the same courage, and I didn’t try because I was afraid to fail.  Your courage is especially important now that we live in a world where many people are confused about right and wrong and are easily misled to wrong paths.  It takes courage to stand up for what you know if right, especially when friends who should know better do not make the same choice and you have to stand alone.
You are an amazing reader.  I love that you are more intrigued by books than by tv and you typically choose the same kind of books that I enjoy.  A funny book rhyme from Alice in Bibleland that I read to you when you were little says “Reading is the special key to take you where you want to be.”  When you read it can help you to have more compassion and understanding for people who come from all walks of life.  It can remind you of Christ-like ideals as you read about inspiring people of the past.  It can open your mind to new knowledge, one of the few things that you can take with you even after you die.  And most importantly, as you read the words of God in the scriptures and modern day prophets, it can help you remember your true potential and purpose for being on earth, so that you can become the daughter that God wants you to become.
When I think of talents I think of the Savior  With great gifts comes great responsibility and I hope you will continue to use the natural gifts that God has given you in god-like ways throughout your life.  I am grateful that God blessed me with such a talented daughter!




r’s invitation to “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father in heaven.”
Love,
Mom
 

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, you are really amazing and do have the wonderful characteristics your mom wrote about. We so enjoyed our time with you this summer and encourage you to keep up the good work and keep smiling. Thanks Heidi for sharing

    ReplyDelete