One of my favorite messages from Conference was Elder Devin Durrant's suggestion to ponderize the scriptures. To help my family better "ponderize"this scripture in 1 Timothy, I tried to pair the words to the tune of a familiar hymn. The theme of our church President, Thomas S. Monson's message this week was "Be an Example and a Light." Music definitely expedites memorization, and I love how scriptures that are put to song come back into my mind during mundane activities like driving, washing dishes or folding laundry to uplift my thoughts and spirit.
Finding a matching meter that emphasized the important words was challenging but I chose the opening verse of "Did You Think to Pray."
So instead of singing... We sing this...
Ere you left your room this morning Let no man despise thy youth, but
Did you think to pray? Be thou an example of the believers (quickly)
In the name of Christ our Saviour In word, in conversation
Did you sue for loving favour? In charity in spirit
As a shield today. In faith, in purity
As a shield today. 4:12 First Timothy
(lyrics by Mary A. Pepper Kidder)
I designed the pocket size image above so they can refer to their cards at school and "ponderize" throughout the day.
I appreciate the positive mental power that stashing these scripture songs in my mind brings. I find the tunes popping up in my mind when I lay in bed at night, when I'm doing dishes or driving and the message of the words has definitely helped me to rise above feelings of negativity or discouragement.
Last week for Emily's "Vocabulary Choice" lesson she learned 2 Nephi 2:27 with a song (click the link to hear it).
The words "they are free to choose liberty and eternal life... or to choose captivity" stood out to me as I reflected on the idea that I am the one who ultimately decides if I want the happiness that comes from focusing on freeing positive thoughts rather than being stuck in the captivity of victim mode by blaming my mood on the actions of others around me.
Tuesday, October 6, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment