I just finished reading "The Story of the Trapp Family Singers" by Maria Augusta Trapp. I love seeing into the hearts of real people through biographies and this one included many inspiring religious themes as well. As my Relief Society lesson tomorrow is on the Holy Ghost and Revelation... this quote really stood out to me.
" But there is that something about wanting to do the will of God. If one in sincere and if one really wants to know what his will is, all one has to do is be quiet. Shut off the television and radio and in that silence one will always hear that still small voice in one's heart telling him what to do." -Maria von Trapp
I'm just glad that at this point in my life doing the will of God doesn't mean leaving everything familiar to me and uprooting my family to a new land. But reading this account certainly made me reflect on and feel gratitude for the sacrifices my ancestors made to come to this wonderful country despite the challenges.
Here's another quote from the book that really struck a chord with me-
" A family which sings together, plays together, and prays together, usually stays together. Our age has become so mechanical that this has also affected our recreation. People have gotten used to sitting down and watching a movie, a ball game, a television set. It may be good once in a while but it certainly is not good all the time. Our own faculties, our imagination, our memory, the ability to do things with our mind and our hands- they need to be exercised. If we become too passive, we get dissatisfied."
This leads me to an interaction between me and Emily earlier this week. Instead of cleaning house one morning I had the thought that I should do some "singing time" with Emily. While I played "I Wonder When He Comes Again" at the piano, I was trying to teach her the lyrics so I asked her what she should do to be ready when Jesus comes again. She looked at me with an inquisitive, hesitant expression and said, "Maybe start packing up all of our bags???????" I guess we need to start doing "singing time" a little more often :)
Saturday, February 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is very funny, you have cute kids. In so many things I have come to appreciate the sacrifices our ancestors made and how much more difficult thier lives were than ours, it makes me feel such gratitude and I realize I have very ltitel to complain about.
ReplyDelete