Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Weaving a Tapestry of Gratitude

I loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk "Forget me Not" at this past Women's Conference so when I was asked to give a lesson on Thanksgiving in Relief Society this past week I thought of the "Golden Ticket" analogy. It is so easy for me to slip into the mindset of wanting what I don't have instead of appreciating what I have now. Following are a few of my favorite quotes from his talk that I'd like to post around my house as reminders:
  • "If you consider success to be only the most perfect rose or dazzling orchid, you may miss some of life’s sweetest experiences.Link
  • “Our journey toward perfection is long, but we can find wonder and delight in even the tiniest steps in that journey.”
  • "... if we spend our days waiting for fabulous roses, we could miss the beauty and wonder of the tiny forget-me-nots that are all around us.
  • “The happiest people I know are not those who find their golden ticket; they are those who, while in pursuit of worthy goals, discover and treasure the beauty and sweetness of the everyday moments. They are the ones who, thread by daily thread, weave a tapestry of gratitude and wonder throughout their lives. These are they who are truly happy.”

One of the sweet "candy bar moments" I had while preparing this lesson and studying these passages in the Book of Mormon about Nephi and Alma. I love how you can read the same passages over and over and yet glean different inspiration each time. As I was looking for principles relating to how Nephi and Alma dealt with their own feelings of inadequacy or unmet desires I compiled some notes for me to refer to in the future when I am struggling to appreciate the good things in life.

2 Nephi 4:17-35

1. v 20-23 Remember God’s blessings from the past (My God has been my support, filled me with love, confounded mine enemy, heard my cry, given me knowledge

2. v 24/30-34 Say a prayer of thanks and ask for God’s help

3. v 34-35 Write down your testimony

Alma 29:1-17

1. v 3 Recognize when our desires are off balance or are creating unhappiness for us ( I ought to be content)

2. v 4 Refocus on eternal perspective/big picture (salvation or destruction)

3. v 8 Trust in God’s will (Lord doth grant… all that he seeth fit that they should have)

4. v 9 Refocus on current callings/blessings (I may be an instrument in the hands of God)

5. v 10 Count your blessings (then do I remember what the Lord has done for me)

6. v 11 Draw strength from the past ( I also remember the captivity of my fathers…God did deliver them out of bondage.)

7. v 14 Focus outside of yourself (my joy is more full because of the success of my brethren)


Good Things:

  • Listening to Alyssa sing as she colors beside me while I'm writing this post
  • Medicine to help with sinus headaches
  • Christmas music
  • Loving my church calling
  • Watching Jacob's delight in making a cake for family night by himself
  • Long Naps
  • Having an easy pregnancy (so far)


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this-- great insights. I loved that talk too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heidi, I also loved Pres. Uchdorf's talk. It was one I needed. Your "gleaned" thoughts reminded me of the many times in my life that I have been blessed in abundance and felt truly loved by the Lord. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete