Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Crutches

Yesterday I was getting Alyssa out of the tub.  I had left Josh playing happily in my room.  Then I heard his distressed crying.  He had crawled down the hallway, managed to squeeze through a small gap between our "stair barricade" and the railing and he was halted on the third step from the top heading down the stairs head first. As I quickly hopped over the bench barricade  and leaped down the stairs to rescue him, he started to tumble.  I felt like I was watching a slow motion movie as he was always just a step or 2 ahead of me.  He ended up rolling all the way down the stairs with no major bangs or bruises and was comforted quickly.  Unfortunately in my heroic leaps to rescue him I twisted my foot and sprained it near the metatarsals.

I tried to manage on my own for about an hour but quickly learned that you can't safely watch a busy 2 year old & a speedy crawler without walking.  Fortunately my husband and visiting teacher came to the rescue :)
Jared convinced me that sticking my foot in a bucket of ice water is the best thing.  I think it causes more pain then the actual injury :0)  I have a new respect for football players who can bathe in a tub of ice water.  It reminds me of labour pains.... clock watching, shortness of breath, throbbing pain.... but I know that if I endure its going to be worth it!
Good things: 
  • New soft carpet to crawl around on
  • Advil 
  • Grocery shopping done before the injury
  • Rebecca making dinner for the family
  • Friends willing to watch my sobbing little girl so I can rest my foot (& keep Josh safe)
  • Crutches
  • I can still drive with my right foot
  • Christmas shopping from home
  • My Super Helpful Husband
  • Excuses to finally caught up on entering in my receipts

4 comments:

  1. I watched Sawyer tumble all the way down our stairs once. It was awful! I hope you feel better soon.

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your leg! That's going to slow you down a bit... I guess at least Josh wasn't hurt too much. Hope it heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry! I hope you take it easy - I know that's nearly impossible with kids! Get better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh danggit, so sorry! I remember Wes making me put my ankle in a bucket of ice water years ago. Hurt like the dickens, but my ankle healed in no time, so I guess they know something we don't! :)

    ReplyDelete