Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Muffins, School & Messes


Lately, Alyssa has been getting ready to go to "school" each morning with the big kids.  Today she even tried to follow Rebecca to the bus stop w/ just a thin sweater and skirt on.  She loves being BIG, & proudly announces that she goes to the "Neal Family School."  Yesterday we had fun making snickerdoodles together.  Her job was to dump in the ingredients and to "shower" the dough balls with sprinkles.  Then she practiced counting how many pieces of clean laundry in the pile belonged to her, while I raced to get the rest sorted and folded.  I never realized how much creativity motherhood can take if you actually want to get things done :)

Today we did muffin experiments with my favorite recipe.  Her attention didn't last long and she ended up dumping water into cups with measuring spoons instead, but the end results of the muffins were scrumptious.
I found this recipe for "Ethel's Famous Poppy Seed Muffins" in my hometown library cookbook years ago & tweaked it a bit.  I usually double it (12 muffins is not enough!) I love how moist & light they are.  Since I was out of poppy seeds I adapted.
Heidi's Favorite Muffins
1/4 c oil
3/4 c sugar

1 c sour cream
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. flavoring
1/4 c milk
2 c flour
1/2 t bkg soda
2 t bkg powder
1/2 t salt
Cream oil, sugar & eggs.  Add poppy seeds, sour cream, milk & dry ingredients & add ins. Stir until moist.  Batter will be thick.  Spoon into paper lined muffin cups filling to top Bake @ 400 for 15-20 min.

Variations:
Poppy seed: Add 1/4 c. poppy seeds & 1/2 tsp almond flavoring
Raspberry white chocolate: Add 1/2 c. frozen raspberries, 1/2 tsp almond flavoring, handful white chocolate chips, handful of coconut
Apple Spice: Add 1/2 c. shredded apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and/or cloves as desired
Next time I want to try Orange chocolate: Replace milk with orange juice, decrease sugar a little & add a handful of chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment