Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Peace, Be Still

Last week I had the awesome opportunity to have a girls getaway with my mom and sisters.  They spoiled me with awesome food like homemade lasagna and raspberry cheesecake that was seriously scrumptious, we had fun crafting and playing games together.  But what I enjoyed even more was just sharing their company.  My husband marvels that when women get together then can actually "enjoy" staying up into the wee hours of the morning.  Perhaps it is because it is during those late night hours that there are finally no more distractions and we can have heart to heart conversation sharing our joys and our struggles and feel peace.

I made a simple wreath that I can change the decor on for different seasons.  I like decor that inspires, so was hoping to embellish it by adding a short inspiring messages or quotes, but I couldn't find the perfect way to do that.  I did find a simple metal chalkboard frame that I can write inspiring messages on as I need constant reminders to help to me to remember to
"Lift Others Up"
"Live in Thanksgiving Daily"
"Be Joyful"
"Have an Attitude of Gratitude"




The church we attended had their Easter program one week early due to general conference.  The music always touches my heart.  The final number made my tears overflow as a young girl about 8 years old sang "I Wonder When He Comes Again."  Her face was peaceful and angelic, and the words of the song brought back to me the distinct memory of laying in bed at night when I was about her age listening to this song each night on a cassette tape player.  I remember envisioning in my mind what the Savior's second coming might be like, and I always thought of the light and hope of springtime.  But as a child I didn't expect I would live to be 40 and still be waiting for his return.  As I listened to the message of her song, my heart filled with gratitude for parents who instilled in me a love of music at an early age, especially sacred music.  I love how music comforts me and lifts me as the challenges of being a grownup are much harder than I had imagined as an innocent child.

I felt that same power and strength tonight as I listened to the final song in Priesthood Conference , "Master the Tempest is Raging".  As I listened to President Monson speak I felt the majesty and power of his testimony of the power of the priesthood of God.
As the choir sang
"Master, with anguish of spirit
I bow in my grief today.
The depths of my sad heart are troubled.
Oh, waken and save, I pray!"
I thought of the sorrow and loneliness that comes from seeing an eternal companion depart from this life temporarily and the love that President Monson has expressed for his sweetheart.  But I also thought of the hard times that I and close friends and family have face.  I know that through the Lord I can feel peace, but I too often wait too long to seek his help through prayer or taking time to be still so that he can "still" me.  My favorite line in the song is,
"PEACE, BE STILL."

The final verse brought to my mind a dual message.  I thought of the amazing peace that will come when "the test" in this life is over and we get to return to a place of perfect peace and rest.  And yet,we don't have to wait until then to enjoy that kind of bliss.  I want to hang this saying in my home somewhere to remind me of the Savior's power to bring peace to me on an everyday basis.

Master, the terror is over.
The elements sweetly rest.
Earth's sun in the calm lake is mirrored,
And heaven's within my breast.
Linger, O blessed Redeemer!
Leave me alone no more,
And with joy I shall make the blest harbor
And rest on the blissful shore.
Text: Mary Ann Baker, ca. 1874

1 comment:

  1. We did have a wonderful time together! Thanks for yet another uplifting post. We are so blessed to feel the love of our Savior's love and know He is watching over us.

    ReplyDelete