Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Pianists, Stunts, Gymnasts and Ballerinas

Emily had her first gymnastics recital last week and it was amazing to watch her skills.  She did 10 back handsprings in a row!  Jared was filming so I just sat back and enjoyed, but his battery died about 2 seconds into her routine  so I was sad we didn't get it recorded  :(   She is in the pre-competitive class and has learned a lot over the past 2 years, but she doesn't love it.   She groans when she finds out it is the day for gymnastics and the next step of competitive traveling gymnastics training lifestyle doesn't suit our family so this was her last month.  After seeing her skills I wondered if I should let her quit so soon, but I thought of the scripture in Mosiah  4:27
"And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order." I'm fine with her turning her energy towards piano which she likes a little more and requires less of my taxi-time & $.
Emily loves her recital song so much that her siblings are asking her to stop playing it they hear it so often.  I love the fun addition of the CD accompaniment.

Daniel is less enthusiastic about practicing piano, but he actually learned to enjoy playing this little duet with me.  Part of it had to do with the fact that  I made him practice if he wants to continue being involved in extra sport activities.
Alyssa learned to play her piece by actually reading "real" music on the staff and I was super proud of her having the courage to perform at the recital.  The video is better heard then seen if you don't want to feel dizzy :)

 Rebecca played an arrangement of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik.  She begins her own piano teaching adventures this week with a couple of younger beginner students.  Drivers Ed starts next week!


Our neighbor gave us his playset if we would dig it up and transport it out of his yard.  I love how it's been drawing the kids into the backyard more.  I love hearing Alyssa exclaim "let's play mom's and kids "as they engage in pretend play.
  Jacob had fun swinging to new heights on our old swing.


 During the summer I am doing informal ballet at home with Emily and Alyssa and whatever friends like to join with them.  After watching several youtube videos, I bought the Petite Feet DVD.  I love how it incorporates some classical music plus real ballet terms like eleve, releve, chasse, pekay, adagio, allegro and plies all through fun stories and "games" in less then 30 minutes.

I first tried a few other fun videos to expose them to a few basics.
Warmup


Petite Feet Trailer


5 Positions

No comments:

Post a Comment