The scriptures have played such a pivotal role in my life. It's too hard for me to choose just one favorite because of the many ways my life has been directed by inspiration from searching and pondering them.
Alma 7:11
"For behold, I say unto you there be many things to come; and behold, there is one thing which is of more importance than they all—for behold, the time is not far distant that the Redeemer liveth and cometh among his people."
I moved the summer after 6th grade. My first grade of middle school I remember feeling comfortable, confident and I enjoyed walking home with friends, excelling in orchestra, participating in intramurals even though I wasn't very good. After the move some small seeds of insecurity set in. I worried about my clothes being unstylish, I felt uncomfortable and out of the loop when people talked about the latest shows or songs they had seen or heard or vacations they had taken. The Classical and spiritual music that I loved and that inspired me definitely wasn't making me feel "cool" and the only vacations we took were visiting family in our own state. In my personal scripture study one night this phrase jumped out at me "behold, there is one thing which is of more importance than they all." When I read this I felt the reassurance that my slight insecurities were insignificant when seen through the perspective of my purpose here on earth and the Lord's love for me. I feel so blessed for parents who taught me to pray and study the scriptures so I could develop a personal relationship with my Saviour.
Alma 7:11
"For behold, I say unto you there be many things to come; and behold, there is one thing which is of more importance than they all—for behold, the time is not far distant that the Redeemer liveth and cometh among his people."
I moved the summer after 6th grade. My first grade of middle school I remember feeling comfortable, confident and I enjoyed walking home with friends, excelling in orchestra, participating in intramurals even though I wasn't very good. After the move some small seeds of insecurity set in. I worried about my clothes being unstylish, I felt uncomfortable and out of the loop when people talked about the latest shows or songs they had seen or heard or vacations they had taken. The Classical and spiritual music that I loved and that inspired me definitely wasn't making me feel "cool" and the only vacations we took were visiting family in our own state. In my personal scripture study one night this phrase jumped out at me "behold, there is one thing which is of more importance than they all." When I read this I felt the reassurance that my slight insecurities were insignificant when seen through the perspective of my purpose here on earth and the Lord's love for me. I feel so blessed for parents who taught me to pray and study the scriptures so I could develop a personal relationship with my Saviour.
Doctrine and Covenants 6:2-3
34 Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail. 35 Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you. 36 Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.
This was the theme scripture in Relief Society my first year living away from home which I memorized after reciting it in church every single week. I especially love the phrase "fear not." When my college piano audition didn't turn out as I had planned, this brought me peace because I knew the Lord had a plan for me, even if it was different than I had expected. Later in life when I was 5 months pregnant, it helped me take the leap of faith to take the job with my husband at the Utah Boy's Ranch as a home parent helping 15+ teen boys as their parent figure even though their intake info scared me to death. And most recently, because of the incredible peace I felt during a 5 minute moment of decision I was able to make a peaceful choice to uproot our large family to move away from a community and ward family we had grown to love to embark on new adventures. I'm grateful that when I look to the Lord he can take away my fear and pour out unanticipated blessings.
Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."
Doctrine and Covenants 15:4-6 "For many times you have desired of me to know that which would be of the most worth unto you. Behold, blessed are you for this thing, and for speaking my words which I have given you according to my commandments. And now, behold, I say unto you, that the thing which will be of the most worth unto you will be to declare repentance unto this people, that you may bring souls unto me, that you may rest with them in the kingdom of my Father. Amen.
This is the scripture my book flipped open to on the day when I was making the pivotal decision about whether or not to serve a mission. I was grateful for such clear direction and for the amazing experiences I had serving and meeting people like Tim, Alvin, Ruth, Tabitha, Avis, Rose, Ronnette and Brother Petersen. It truly changed my life and opened my eyes to the sweet blessings the gospel brings to me and others.
Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."
Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."
After my mission as I was making the important decision about where to live, I know that he guided my path. After checking out several apartment complexes, I narrowed it down to 2 and decided to sign up for the apartment that gave me a good grade discount. But that day 2 different people who I didn't usually talk to on a regular basis, let me know that the complex I had chosen had "party" reputation which definitely was not a good fit for me. I changed my mind and chose to live in the complex where I met Jared. Marrying him is the greatest blessing that has ever happened to me!
Psalms 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."
No comments:
Post a Comment