Pages

Monday, May 29, 2017

House of Happiness

This weekend while my generous husband allowed me to have a "mom vacation" I found inspiration in the words of my great grandmother regarding the sometimes seemingly elusive "house of happiness" I strive to create. While he took most of the family on vacation, I have been able to stay home (my favorite place) and recharge by doing some of my favorite things... family history, temple work, piano playing and turning clutter and chaos into a home of order. It has also been a pleasure to spend some fun one on one time with Emily redeeming all of her free restaurant coupons that she got for being nominated "Student of the Year."  And I ate way too many of the scrumptious cookies that she made:)
Image may contain: 7 people, people smiling, people standing, suit and indoor

Today I stumbled upon
the detailed life history of my ancestor Lucy Jane (Jennie) Brimhall Knight and her words of inspiration feel as if they are "voices from the dust" speaking straight to my heart.




Jennie is well-known for being one of the first single sister missionaries to serve in the "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints," a member of the General Relief Society board and later temple matron . But the parts of her journal that speak to me even more are her less spoken of heartache of infertility as she pens her desire to have a child to hold even for a short while when she hears of the premature passing of one of her friend's children. She later was able to adopt 2 boys (one was my grandfather). I love this poem that she read as part of one of her General Relief Society addresses. I have been blessed with that "houseful of children" that she probably ached to have, and yet it is evident that she chose to live what she preached despite her heartaches as I read the many accounts of the many people touched by her and her grateful attitude expressed in many of her talks.

"House of Happiness"


Take what God gives, O heart of mine, And build your house of happiness. 
Perchance some have been given more; But many have been given less. 
The treasure lying at your feet, Whose value you but faintly guess, 
Another builder, looking on, Would barter heaven to possess. 

Have you found work that you can do? Is there a heart that loves you best?
 Is there a spot somewhere called home Where, spent and worn, your soul may rest?
 A friendly tree? A book? a song? A dog that loves your hands' caress?
 A store of health to meet life's needs? Oh, build your house of happiness! 

Trust not tomorrow's dawn to bring The dreamed of joy for which you wait; 
You have enough of pleasant things To house your soul in goodly state; 
Tomorrow, Time's relentless stream May bear what now you have away; 
Take what God gives, O heart, and build Your house of happiness today!










I also loved these excerpts from her talk "Fruitful Thoughts."

Through our training we have come to recognize the value of the statement accredited Carlyle when he said: "It is not what I have but what I do that is my kingdom;" and as what we do is a product of what we think, how necessary it is for us to entertain only those thoughts which will result in noble deeds. The mind is so organized that it will bring forth either good or evil. Life is so short and there is so much to do, that we cannot permit thoughts of pride and prejudice, envy, jealousy, falsehood, dishonesty, disloyalty, intolerance, or selfishness to find lodgement in our minds, for they will bring forth the briers and thorns to vex us. They will rob us of success and happiness and thwart us in our purposes. They will wound those we love and for whom we labor. If we harbor these, our lives will end in disappointment. If, however, in our minds, there is a hunger and thirst after righteousness, they shall be filled with thoughts of humility, generosity, forgiveness, tolerance, patience, sympathy, love, and charity. If, as we face the problems of each new day, our minds are fertile with such thoughts as these, they will bring forth good fruits and when the book of life is closed, upon its pages will be recorded only deeds of righteousness.


If, in the hours of time allotted to us, we will cause our minds to dwell upon that which is pure and unselfish, as surely as the sunbeam is reflected from the pinnacle of yonder temple, just so sure will good thoughts be reflected in our countenances and we will become women of influence and blessedness, in our homes, as wives and mothers; in our Church, as members; and in our nation, as citizens. May the Lord help us to realize the full significance of the proverb, "As he thinketh in his heart so is he," and order our lives in keeping with his will.  

This month of May has at moments felt like the "Month of Madness" for me with so many events. But when I dwell on the happy moments in my life this month I feel amazingly blessed.  I feel so grateful for my supportive husband who allowed me a weekend to regroup and clear the clutter of negativity from my mind so I can take time to appreciate the good!  
Rebecca's 17th birthday

Gymnastics showcase for Emily and Alyssa

Josh and Lizzie on their "thrones"

My dishtowel superhero

Temple Open House

Zoo Field Trip

Orchestra Concert

Neighbor Party
Good Things: (That I was too busy to snap photos of)
Drivers Ed is Finished!
Piano Recital 
Band Concert
Morning Exercise with Monica
Long Phone Talks with Mom
A Free Food Dehydrator
Clean Storage Room
Becca's Elementary Intern Breakfast
Happy Hour Shakes at Arbys
Mom Dates
Flying Trampoline did no damage
Hit another Family History Gold Mine



No comments:

Post a Comment