Pages

Monday, May 8, 2017

Chugging Worms is more important than Washing Dishes

Today I feel so grateful to have been blessed with close friends who inspire me to be a better person, to focus on the important things and who lift me in the hard times even when they live miles away.

Yesterday after church I was so grateful to stumble upon my good friend Angela's blog post with a video that seemed to uncannily resemble the condition of my house after a busy weekend of football, shopping, prom, work projects, church commitments.  I was joking with my kids that it looked like someone came and took a picture of our kitchen (same layout, cabinets and colors!!) couch and bedrooms. I love these lyrics from Hilary Weeks song "Who You Are"



"I know you wonder
If you'll ever have a day
Where the kids stay calm, the laundry's done
And the dishes are put away
And sometimes you feel like
Your days are spent and gone
And the question running through your mind
Is what have I gotten done
And when you finally have a moment to slow down
At the end of your day I know Father would say
Believe in what you're doing
Believe in who you are
And hold tight to the truth that you're a daughter of God
Believe in who you're becoming, believe in who you are"

I think the last time I remember feeling "on top of things" (as Angela mentioned) happened back when I was a teenager and was only responsible for myself. And I only have 6 kids... not 10!
At times when the undone housework weighs me down, I just need to remind myself that when I'm eighty I'll remember the family memories we've made a lot more than the messes they created.  And I will get to greet a lot of angels in heaven because of my family history addiction :).
Becca  & Josh heading to ice block and
mountain bike for their prom "day date.

 We had  great time celebrating Cinco de Mayo with the Keller's and Campbells as we ate delicious Mexican food, had gummy worm chugging, pepper eating contests, roasted smores and smashed a pinata.




 They younger kids decided to have an impromptu "dance party" on the neighbors back patio and made "Don't be Shy, Just Dance" signs.
 Jacob and I went shopping.  He's such an easy kid to shop with because, he's so patient when I try things on and is so excited and grateful when I buy him anything. Then we headed to watch Daniel's football game.
 Alyssa was so excited to celebrate the warm weather jumping on the tramp with sprinklers with her friends.


1 comment:

  1. my dear friend.....I miss you. It's hard being a parent. I think it's got to be one of the most discouraging things....until you get a huge payback. And they do come don't they? For me Mother's Day this year was it. Talking to my missionary truly was an experience that will hold me through for a long time. I have more love and willingness to forgive myself. I have more desire to keep sacrificing for these precious little spirits in our home. I love you!

    ReplyDelete