Pages

Friday, July 13, 2018

Alyssa's Baptism Day

Milestone life events like baptisms and birthdays and graduations cause me to reminisce and realize how quickly time passes by.  As we took Alyssa to see the temple the day before her baptism, I recalled the distinct moment 8 years ago when I held her in the rocking chair, looking at her tiny hands and thinking that this might be the last little baby of my own that I would get to cuddle and feed and dress.  I have loved seeing her personality unfold through the years and these pictures remind me of what makes her unique.
I snapped this picture of her little hand as a baby thinking she might be my last child.  My pregnancy with her had been difficult and I didn't think I could endure another... although I'm glad I did a couple years later or we wouldn't have our little Josh.
 
And it was hard for me to part with her cute baby dresses knowing I was closing a little chapter of my life.
Alyssa loves beautiful things, like flowers and colorful rocks, earrings, painted fingernails and fancy dresses.  She is just aching for the day when she is old enough to wear makeup!  She loves the cosmetic section at the dollar store. In lieu of enrolling in sports, gymnastics or dance this year, I enrolled her in "Mom-Date" this year.  (A once a week scheduled outing with me!). I've enjoyed spending more one on time with her as we have made trips to the ice cream store, the Dollar store, the park or had a spa or craft night together painting nails, doing foot scrubs, sewing scrunchies, and a dress.
  When we visited the temple grounds she pointed out some of her favorite flowers to us as we walked by.
 Alyssa in some settings can be super social and is definitely a spicy character in our home, but a lot of her interactions with adults at school and church she shows her shy side or remains a bit aloof when they try to tease or talk to her.  Sometimes she keeps her thoughts to herself and this picture from several years ago reminded me of the response she had when one of her primary leaders was trying to talk to her about her baptism last week.


 She still loves to play house with her siblings and is especially creative at using household objects for new purposes.








With close family she expresses affection and I like how she will still hold my hand when we head out on outings. 
 
There is just something that touches my heart when I see my kids holding their dad's hand. I love the close relationship that he has developed with each of them.  Although none of our kids inherited his red hair, the lighting on this picture of Alyssa makes me think of Jared.




 I feel so grateful to have a temple so nearby.

















 Our family was not able to come up to visit on her baptism day.  When I asked Alyssa what she would like to do to make the day special she said, "How about you give me $100 and take me to the store to buy whatever clothes I like?"  That's didn't happen! But we were grateful for the Bishop, primary leaders, and friends who came to support her.


 

 After Alyssa's baptism, we went to Pizza Pie Cafe as a family (a rare treat) and then headed to go bowling.



 I wish my teen boys didn't love the stone face pose so much!  They look a lot more bored than they were.



Later that night, I did a short photoshoot behind our house.  






No comments:

Post a Comment