A few weeks ago I was sitting on the bench in church listening to the speaker while Joshua sat beside me writing out some words onto the program. As I glanced down to decipher what he was writing I read an excerpt from one of the high school cheers.
"we will noce you done sace you up" [We will knock you down, shake you up"]
I encouraged him to maybe write something a little nicer instead of this brash cheer and then I refocused on the message of the speaker.
The man began to relate a personal story from many years before. His wife had been reading bedtime stories with their 6-year-old son one night. One story was about two animals who would meet together in the woods each day for a treat. After sounding out "Together" he paused and said, "Together, That's a Big Word, Mom." He was proud of his accomplishment at sounding out such a long word. This moment would take on new significance when a few days later their son died suddenly and tragically.
Tears ran down my face as I looked down at my own little 6-year-old and contemplated the feelings of grief I would feel if I had been in these parents shoes. Josh then got my attention and showed me the newest message that he had written on his paper and then I added my reply.
Sometimes in moments like these, I want to make time stand still and treasure up the peaceful feelings to keep with me always instead of returning back to ups and downs that come with everyday life. I recommitted to be more present with my children that week and find more joy in the journey and felt grateful for this heartfelt reminder and many more that come as I attend church and am inspired by others joys and sorrows.
The words from the talk resurfaced in my mind later that week during another moment up peaceful togetherness as we attended the tree lighting ceremony on campus and made Christmas cards, ate cookies, played reindeer games and watched the Grinch.
The speaker ended his message relating a sacred experience many years after the death of their son when they gathered in the temple as a family and felt the peace of "togetherness" that binds beyond the grave because of temple blessings. I feel so grateful for that blessing of being together in eternity even though our times all together are shrinking as our kids grow up and leave home to set out on their own.
I love your message, Thank you for sharing it. We love and miss your family. (Can’t believe Joshua is 6 years old.)
ReplyDeleteThanks Vicky!
Delete