Pages

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Scripture Study Insights

Mosiah 11
verse 2:(about King Noah) "he did walk after the desires of his own heart"
Sometimes I see myself in this verse, like when I ignore the swirling needs of the children around me because I want to finish a piano podcast, or attach one more source for family history. Or when I have a mental battle inside wishing for the church calling I'd rather have instead of magnifying the one the Lord has called me to.
When Noah walked after his own heart, his demands and expectations of others became unreasonable  (heavy taxes) and "he did cause his people to commit sin."
For me I see the personal application when I start pointing fingers at my family members who are leaving messes or doing things that irritate me.  I sometimes make demands of them that I am not actually fully doing myself. At other times I just ignore their fighting and just hope it will "fix itself" because I don't want to take the time to "reprove betimes with sharpness." I just hope it will go away on its own.  Really the root of his problems (taxing, laziness, heart upon riches, letting down his guard, boasting) is self-centeredness.

vs. "And it shall come to pass that except this people repent and turn unto the Lord their God, they shall be brought into bondage; and none shall deliver them, except it be the Lord the Almighty God.
Noah's actions were extreme and led his people to physical bondage.  For me, I see how self-centeredness leads to me being in spiritual bondage or at least causes me more mental anguish "bondage" when I place the blame of some of my own actions on others or see their motes more than my own beams my spiritual progress is stalled.  I love how Abinadi reminded them that the antidote for these self-centered issues is the Lord, who then delivers them out of their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment