Pages

Monday, February 4, 2019

Handling Adversity with a Talk and a Text


Today started out pretty rough for me.  I had restless night's sleep worrying about some of my children's problems and woke up with a headache after tossing and turning since 3 a.m.  We had the mad rush to get the Alyssa and Josh out the door to the bus through Alyssa's tears about lamenting that her sister didn't pick out her outfit as promised, but I managed to gather them for a quick prayer and hug before they headed out the door to the bus.  Jacob needed a ride because the car wouldn't start and seeing the mound of dirty dishes he never washed didn't make me feel much in the mood for helping him.  But, I did it anyway, and since there was no silverware or dishes to eat on I tackled the massive kitchen mess when I got home which took me until 11:00.  While I worked, I turned on BYU radio and the talk by Lavell Edwards was just what I needed to hear. (Prepare for a Mission - October 1984).  These were the words that really touched my heart.  After relating 2 stories of players who were able to succeed despite adversity he said,
"The ability we have to handle this adversity will determine the degree of success that we will have in life. To me, this is where the gospel can be the greatest of help to us. The power of the Holy Ghost is the greatest source of strength and comfort we can have in our lives. The Holy Ghost will not only help us in times of need, but will help us to gain a firm testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ, thereby preparing us for life." 
 This made me feel more at peace and contemplate the reality that my adversity was not really that big of a challenge when viewed through an eternal lens. When I chose to change my perspective and start counting my blessings I just started to feel better even though my circumstances hadn't changed.  I received a text from a former piano student who was ready to start up lessons again and that brightened my day as well.  I'm feeling grateful for the tiny tender mercies in life... a talk and a text.

1 comment:

  1. I dont no if my first post went but I've now read all the way into the winter of bishops calling. I love this as I'm not missing you as much of course I'm crying happy tears at the pictures as well as your words.
    This is such a blessing .

    ReplyDelete