Pages

Saturday, June 29, 2019

Inspired by FamilySearch Memories


On the same day Rebecca began her first experiences as a sister missionary in San Jose this week, I was inspired by a post on the memories feed on my familysearch.org homepage that displayed the obituary for my ancestor, Jennie Brimhall Knight who served as one of the first single sister missionaries of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I had been uplifted in the past by her life and optimistic, faith-filled quotes that I included in a quote book for a Father's Day gift, but it was contemplating the trials she faced that really inspired me this week. 






As I read over her life accomplishments including temple matron, school teacher, member of the general Relief Society presidency, social work delegate, etc.,  I began to ponder some of the challenges she faced in life as well including witnessing her mother deteriorate due to mental illness, struggling with infertility, seeing a wayward child abandon his family and dealing with the loss of her father to suicide. Through her hardships and her reaction to them, she was molded into a strong woman with righteous influence.
Ironically I had also encountered a passage this week in "Silent Souls Weeping" by Jane Clayson Johnson  week that mentioned the death of Jennie's father George H. Brimhall, former president of BYU.  It made me think about how we often focus on the strengths, accomplishments, and highlights of the lives of others.  Sometimes this can inspire, but it can also be a bit discouraging to feel like we can never quite measure up to such role models.  The seemingly "picture perfect" lives that we glimpse of others at church and through social media are also filled with dark spots and struggles that we can not see.   
I love this passage from President Eyring's talk, "The Reward of Enduring Well." 

“When you meet someone, treat them as if they were in serious trouble, and you will be right more than half the time.”
We all have trials to face—at times, very difficult trials. We know that the Lord allows us to go through trials in order for us to be polished and perfected so we can be with Him forever.
The Lord taught the Prophet Joseph Smith in Liberty Jail that the reward for enduring his trials well would help qualify him for eternal life:
“My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
“And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes” (D&C 121:7–8).




No comments:

Post a Comment