Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2025

Seven? Years of Service

 The day after we gathered in the temple with Emily, Jared accepted the call to serve as the first counselor in our new Stake Presidency, with President Holt and President Moss, who are men I am sure he will enjoy serving with!

 I think I will always have fixed in my memory the few moments before we left as I played some calming piano music (I Know That My Redeemer Lives/I Stand all Amazed) in the piano room while Jared sat back to relax and listen. Then we slipped out of the house and drove off, holding hands heading to the second appointment with a little trepidation but a lot of love too. 

It reminded me of other pivotal moments in my life when I have felt both eager, nervous and blessed all wrapped into one.  I had similar feelings when we first discussed looking for an engagement ring, when Jared opened his acceptance letter to BYU grad school while standing in the Boys Ranch cafeteria, when we held our first newborn baby in our arms, when we made the split second decision in a gas station parking lot to accept the job in Rexburg and move our family away from Pocatello. My heart just felt so grateful to have my best friend by my side as my eternal companion going through the changes of life together, and I love him for his devotion to and willingness to serve God. 

As part of the interview process, the visiting authority Elder Hall interviewed me before Jared, and his first question was, "What kind of father and husband is Jared?" My response was, he is everything I dreamed of in a husband! Some of my favorite things about him are that he loves God deeply, he loves people, and he repents quickly. 


In his work as a counselor, he has the opportunity to help and love people in meaningful ways every single day, and although he is not perfect, he is always seeking to become better. 

I love how when he makes a mistake, like saying a curt word to a child (which is rare), or spending more time than he feels is reasonable watching sports updates, he is so quick to apologize and recommit to being better. 

We were blessed to have the whole family gather for Jared's setting apart, although some were happier to be there than others 😉. Livia held out for so long, but just as the blessings began, she decided it was time to wail.

 

Training Meeting Notes

One of the other highlights for me this weekend, besides going to the temple with Emily for her endowment,  was attending the training meeting before Jared was sustained.

They told us about it when he accepted the call, but I wasn't sure if I was supposed to go. So Jared headed off 15 minutes early, then called me and said I was supposed to be there and he'd  be back to get me in 5 minutes. I'm standing there, with sopping wet hair, no makeup or contacts, only half dressed. NOT the way you want to be 5 minutes before meeting with a general authority! Good thing I'm a low-maintenance woman with thin hair that dries quick.😂


I loved these principles that were mentioned by Elder Hall and Elder Kiehl in the training.
  • Intentionally schedule times to study and worship.
  • Date night every week is a commandment💗!
  • Minister to the ministers.
  • Testify of Christ in every teaching.
  • Minister to those you have stewardship over. 
  • Loyalty to the Lord and to the family are not competitive but synergistic.
  • Prioritize Heavenly Father and ask often, "What do you want me to do now?"
  • Teach doctrine instead of diverting to side less authoritative sources. True doctrine understood changes behavior.
  • Extend inspired invitations to act often.
  • Promise blessings. 
During the meeting, I felt inspired to be a better spouse, parent, minister, and RS counselor after hearing them teach.  I really prefer being a supporter more than a leader and saw so many compensatory blessings come into our lives while Jared served as bishop. So, although I'll be seeing my husband a lot less, I look forward to feeling the spirit a lot more and am grateful for the way his service brings blessings into our family and look forward to the experiences we will have over the next 7-10 years.






No comments:

Post a Comment