Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

I love setting New Years goals... even if they seem like they look about the same every year. It just feels so good to recommit and actually see that I'm making a little progress. I sat down to set some new goals with the kids and look at their resolutions from last year and ended up having a great time reading over little experiences I 'd recorded about each of them over the years. I used to love hearing my mom read from her journal about me too. That's how I know I was a totally wicked toddler! One of the excerpts that I had forgotten about was this poem that Rebecca brought to me one day when she was 7 years old. After reading it she said that I probably felt this way a lot as a mom... it's true.

"If I had my child to raise again
I'd build self-esteem first and the house later.
I'd fingerpaint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting, and more connecting
I'd take my eyes off my watch and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging."
-Diane Loomans

I feel so thankful to be alive, to be healthy, to be truly living the dreams I always hoped I could with my amazing husband and cute kids. Today I feel so thankful to the Lord for all of the amazing blessings in my life. I'm glad to have another new year to enjoy it all!

2 comments:

  1. I love this poem! One of my goals this year is to live in the moment. Try to stress about unimportant things less. This poem was perfect for me to read! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete