A Parable in Preparation
One Monday as evening approached I was a bit frustrated with my children’s lack of cooperation in completing their daily duties. While cleaning up the dinner dishes and contemplating how to better motivate them to do their share around the home, I formulated a plan for our family night lesson that proved to be unforgettable. As scents of the delicious FHE treat baking filled the kitchen, the kids were eager to start family night so they could enjoy their favorite part… family night treats!
While teaching them the parable of the 10 Virgins, we discussed the importance of personal preparedness through an accumulation of righteous choices. I gave them each an oil lamp (cup) and then proceeded to fill it with drops of oil (coins) while listing off some of the good actions they had done during the day. Of course, those who had completed more of their duties in the day had significantly more drops of oil. Then they figuratively burned (returned) their drops of oil while waiting for the wedding feast to begin. As in the parable, many of our family members ran out of “oil” in their lamps before the wedding feast. When we announced that it was finally time for the feast (treats) and only those with oil remaining were invited to participate, the real lesson of family night started to sink in.
One child became emotional and broke down crying because she couldn’t partake of the treats. Another tried to argue and convince us why she should be able to enjoy the “feast” even though she didn’t have oil. One son became very angry and the other son responded with incredible calm humility. I almost gave in to their logical and emotional pleas and became a little teary-eyed myself thinking maybe I had been too harsh. I contemplated giving them an opportunity for redemption.
Instead we returned to the scriptural account and discussed the implications of lifelong choices and the great sorrow we would feel if any of our family members did not make the choices to qualify for returning to live with God again. We never know when our period of testing on earth will end and “the door [will] shut.”[1] When the foolish virgins came “saying, Lord, Lord, open to us…he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.”[2] No amount of crying, pleading or wrath will change the results for us at the final Judgment Day, so it is imperative that we repent daily & perform our duties while here on earth to prepare to meet God someday. Fortunately for us (and our children) the Lord is merciful and allows us the opportunity to repent while in this probationary state. After feeling the pain of missing family night treats, all of the kids recommitted to do better the next day, and they all enjoyed a well-deserved feast of treats together the following night. They had learned a heartfelt lesson, and I caught a glimpse of the sorrow the Savior must feel when we choose not to repent now when we have the chance.
very well written and a beautiful lesson learned. I plan on copying your idea - thanks for sharing! you even got me teary eyed reading it!
ReplyDeleteBrilliant idea!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great lesson, Heidi. I love how you apply parables, scriptures etc. to everyday situations here and now. That is truly a gift you have-along with Jamie McQueen, who is a great teacher. I am so proud of you!
ReplyDelete