Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Puzilla - Finding My Roots and Branches

I have a new addiction.... Family History.  For years I have enjoyed finding the stories and pictures of my ancestors, (nealfamilyhistory.blogspot.com) recording my own  personal history and interviewing relatives to gather more information, but after a frustrating experience at the family history center about 8 years ago searching for family names to do ordinance work for, I stopped looking for family names to do ordinances for at the temple, because it seemed too hard.  But Susannah (one of my ancestors) has been on my mind ever since.  I searched through many microfiche searching for her parents and never found anything on that frustrating day years ago.
Several weeks ago I decided to start trying again.  After watching a 2 minute tutorial about Puzilla, switched my focus to looking for Susannah's descendants.  I discovered that she had 5 other children and have since identified 10 of my relatives that I can complete ordinance work for at the temple.  It fills me with emotion each time I find a new relative to do temple work for and I am eager to start involving my children so they can feel the same blessings.  I love this statement by Elder Quentin L. Cook in last general conference.
"The eternally significant blessing of uniting our own families is almost beyond comprehension."

Jared's mom came up to visit for a few weeks and I was able to transcribe a cassette tape of her great aunt relaying some life experiences about Jared's grandma.  It filled me with gratitude for the peace the gospel brings as I heard of the troublesome family life she experienced before accepting the gospel and reflected on the blessings that her posterity can now enjoy because they have gospel truths and a living prophet's counsel to protect them from their youth.  I love the new features on familysearch.org that allow you to upload pictures and stories.  When I need a dose of gratitude, I read from some of the life histories posted there and remember the challenges and sacrifices made by those who have gone before me. 

When I read of Phoebe who was the mother of 14 children, and think I can rise to the challenge of caring for just six. 

When I read of Emily who died at age 40 leaving a large family behind, I am grateful for my good health. 

When I read of Gedske whose parents died when she was just 14, I am grateful that my father's life was spared during his challenging illness years ago and my parents are only a phone call away to receive counsel or guidance from.  What a blessing they are to my children as they've been able to spend some one on one time with them this summer!
When I read of Caroline whose teenagers died of cholera, I feel grateful that my children are still all with me. 
When I read of Kristina who left her homeland of Sweden to travel to new land with a foreign language so that she could complete the temple work for her deceased mother, I feel grateful that the temple is only 45 minutes away, and my family is close by.

"We enjoy the best days of our lives because of the past struggles of our ancestors."

2 comments:

  1. I love family history! Thanks for the pictures and stories - I love learning about Jon's and your family. (I also taught that Sharing Time lesson!) My great-aunt married a Knight (into Jesse's brother Newell's line). It's neat to make and see all of the connections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all of this! I haven't done much with family history yet but i sure enjoy seeing what you've done!

    ReplyDelete