This morning I came down to my computer feeling a bit discouraged after a bad sleep,tense morning with kids having lots of needs and rushing off late. I had just intended to once again renew the monkey George library dvd that has been "missing" for a few weeks to allow me a little more time to find it before paying a hefty replacement fee.
Fortunately I found this page I had pulled up the night before from my sister's blog with an image of a quote I needed to hear. I had been trying to print it last night to donate an item to our ward auction before heading off to Daniel's 2 1/2 hour band concert, but it didn't work out :(
But it definitely lifted my spirits this morning and as I proceeded to write this post about my family my angry, tense and selfish, discouraging feelings just melted away as I reflected on the happy everyday moments that kids bring instead of focusing on the mounds of literally eight loads of laundry in my closet waiting to be folded and put away.
These words of Russell M. Nelson came to my mind .
"The joy we feel has little to do with the circumstances of our lives and everything to do with the focus of our lives."
I love this talk joy-and-spiritual-survival and am looking forward to hearing more words of inspiration this weekend during general conference.
His friend Lizzie was over the other day and I overheard their conversation as they were playing.
Josh "So your my wife right?"
Lizzie "Sure."
As they are looking over the dolls he holds up the prince for himself and then says, "Do you want to be Elsa or Belle?"
"Belle," replies Lizzie.
Josh says "Oh good, because Elsa has super strong powers!"
I guess my little man doesn't want a lady whose going to overpower him :)
To celebrate his birthday we all went bowling as a family and had a great time. He did a little happy dance when he had a successful bowl.

The next day at church he asked me if he would be going to school the next day (now that he was 5). When I told him no, he breathed a huge sigh of relief. He's happy to stay home with me for just a little longer :)
I've lately been trying to keep track of the little things he says that make me smile.
When it was still freezing outside and snow covered the ground he said, "If I could choose a superpower do you know what I would choose? Superpowers to melt the snow."
We were reading a scripture story one morning in the Book of Mormon where the Nephites who are being held as slaves are able to escape their captors by distributing wine to them the night before. Joshua later said, "If there's a bad guy I would give him vinegar!" He has smelled the organic apple cider vinegar that Jared and Jacob drink when they start to feel a sickness coming on and obviously he thinks its pretty potent and nasty.
One day he was chewing some gum and said, "I like this gum but its not my favorite." I asked him if his favorite was mint or fruit and he said, "My favorite is ABC gum!"
He was drinking from a straw and said, "Let me show you a little trick I learned in the army." Then he held the end and showed me how he could make the fluid stay in.
Last week he told me he wants me to have another baby. I told him that's not going to happen but when I asked him why he lamented that its because he never had a chance to visit anyone in the hospital yet (like he has seen in the scrapbook pictures of his siblings). Well Jacob made that dream come true this weekend. After Jacob and Joshua wrestled on Friday night, Jacob headed to another tournament the next day which landed him in the hospital after a bad break. His right humerus snapped near his elbow and was beyond the skills of the urgent care to treat so he headed up to the E.R. and had surgery done that day. I was amazed at how kind and caring every single person on the hospital staff was. It was the most positive hospital experience I have had even though I'm sure the bill is going to hefty. Before Jacob headed off to surgery he said jokingly, "The worst think that could happen is I don't wake up. But that's actually a nice peaceful way to die in your sleep." I'm glad he has a clear conscious and feels ready for that! He has been overwhelmed with treats and kindness from friends and ward members. One of his kind friends who won a gold medal at the match came to visit him at the hospital and gave his medal to Jacob saying he thought he deserved it after what he had been through. Fortunately Jacob was able to return to school today and his recovery seems to be much faster compared to his last surgery.

I love how Josh can still smile in the middle of a match. He approaches life with such a happy disposition much like his big brother Jacob.
![]() |
| Pre-Surgery |
![]() |
| Post Surgery |



The girls were pretty excited to go the hospital because they love riding on elevators!











Sorry you've been having such a rough week. And a 2 1/2 hour long band concert is inhumane. What the heck is wrong with that teacher? Also, if Josh ever gets superpowers that melt the snow, he's going to have to come live with me. ;)
ReplyDeleteAlso the page you are trying to print from isn't the actual post with the printable PDF. Try this instead: http://www.creationsbykara.com/2012/05/things-will-work-out-free-lds-printable.html/
Thanks, I will correct the link. I was glad I didn't bring my little ones to the concert but it was neat to hear all the combined middle, jr high, and high school bands in the city play the 1812 overture at the same time with gunfire instead of canons from the police. I just wish they chose less or shorter numbers for the individual band performances... memorable chaos :)!
Delete