Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Aunt Dorthy's Funeral

My mom's sister Dorthy passed away this June and I had the privilege of accompanying for the musical selections at her funeral. As I practiced the songs, I reflected on the many fun memories I had visiting her house as a child, putting together puzzles, chatting late into the night, getting ice cream at the dairy, listening to Jim Reeves, choosing from her awesome selection of cold cereal (which was a luxury item to me). She didn't have any children of her own she "adopted" us neices and nephews as her own. I was always most excited to open up Christmas gifts from her because I knew they would be something fun that I really wanted. And she was great to remember everyone's birthday. We will miss her, but I am happy that she is finally relieved from the pain she has experienced for many years due to cancer.
One of the songs that she wanted to be sung at her funeral besides numerous familiar primary songs and "O Divine Redeemer" was "In the Garden." I was unfamiliar with this song but the lyrics were inspiring to me as I thought of the challenges of single life and yet the peace that the promises of the Savior bring and the hope of promises being fulfilled in this life and the next.

I come to the garden alone
While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear
The Son of God discloses.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

He speaks, and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing.

I'd stay in the garden with Him
Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
His voice to me is calling.







No comments:

Post a Comment