I feel so inspired as I read the accounts and testimonies of my ancestors. They sacrificed so much and endured hardships that make my current life look like a piece of cake. I come away feeling more hopeful about my life and more determined to face my challenges with optimism and faith. This week, I came across this interesting story involving my ancestor, Isaac Higbee, the first stake president of Utah County, and his son Joseph. I thought it might make an interesting family night lesson.
![]() |
| Isaac Higbee, II born 1797 |
"On January
31, 1850, Isaac Higbee sent a report to Brigham Young that the Indians
in Utah Valley, “had killed and stolen between 50 and 60 head of cattle
and horses, that they were saucy and threatened to kill more cattle and
get other Indians to join them in killing the settlers in Utah Valley.
Higbee further reported that the brethren in Utah Fort were agreed in
asking the privilege of defending themselves against the Indians.” The
request for help was granted and Governor Young dispatched a hundred men
to strengthen and protect the settlers.
The Indians
were under command of Big Elk, a brave resourceful leader. They had
fortified themselves in a bend of the Provo River occupying a log cabin
abandoned by a pioneer who had sought the shelter of the Fort. (He had
been advised not to build apart in the first place.)
An attempt
was made to negotiate peace, but while the parley was in progress Big
Elk opened fire. The pioneers fired back. At the close of the first day
the Indians still held their position. On the following day by a
determined attack possession of the cabin was gained, and a final
retreat was brought about by the construction of a V-shaped barricade of
planks which was covered with brush, while the inside was hung with
buffalo robes and blankets to stop the force of the bullets should they
penetrate the timbers. This strange object was pushed toward the
Indians, who took alarm and retreated.
“Investigation
the following day revealed two or three Indian warriors either dead or
dying and one squaw dead. Big Elk who had sworn never to live in peace
with the white man, died on the way to Rock Canyon, to which part of his
force had fled. Big Elk’s widow, a fine-appearing, intelligent young
squaw, in attempting to climb a precipice, fell and was killed. From
this incident, it is said, Squaw Peak, near the mouth of Rock Canyon,
received its name.”
Joseph, son
of President Isaac Higbee and a lad of nineteen, was one numbered among
the men who took part in this conflict. While the fighting was in
progress Joseph and a comrade were concealed behind a log. His companion
saw that an Indian had discovered them, and had a gun pointed in their
direction. The young man warned Higbee of the danger, and told him not
to raise his head. Both lay behind the log for sometime. At last
becoming very weary in the uncomfort-able position and suffering from
the intense cold, Joseph asked his companion if he thought it would be
safe to take a look over the log. His friend urged him not to do so, but
Joseph finally made the venture. The moment his head appeared above the
log a shot was fired, the bullet striking and breaking his neck.
Joseph had a
premonition before the battle that he would not survive the conflict and
he told his older sister, Amanda, of his forebodings. She urged him not
to go out to fight, but he answered that he could not be a coward, and
would go even if he knew he should be killed.
It was the
first death among the settlers in the first Indian War in Utah and it
cast a gloom over the little community. The blow was especially severe
to President Higbee as this was his only living son, and not for some
time was he able to reconcile himself to the loss."
My heart was touched as I also read about the trials his 9 months pregnant wife Keziah String endured.
"From Andrew
Jensen’s Biographical Encyclopedia and Isaac’s Journal we are told: “In
the flight to Clay County we crossed the Missouri River. There had been
heavy rains and floods the night before and all day, and it was this
night my son, Alma, was born. He died in Clay County two and a half
years later.” Isaac’s daughter, Amanda Higbee McEwan, gives the
following account of the flight and birth: “The first sorrow I ever felt
was the night after we were driven out of Jackson County. We camped at
the foot of a high bluff and in the night a terrible storm arose, the
rain came down in torrents and we had to climb the bluff to keep from
being swept away by the swelling flood. We took shelter in a cave after
driving out the wild hogs. My dear mother had to be carried up, being
too ill to help herself and not being able to lie down she sat in her
chair through the long night. Morning came at last as it always does,
and with the light (though it was still raining) we resumed our journey.
This day we crossed the Missouri River and immediately pitched our tent
when a few moments after my mother gave birth to a son. And it was that
night the stars fell from the heaven and our enemies thought the day of
judgement had come.”
These excerpts were copied from the full account on this site
I think the loss of a child would be one of the most difficult trials I could endure. I was holding Joshua in my arms when I listened to Elder Bowen's talk in conference yesterday about the emotions and feelings he experienced after the death of their 8 month old put some chalk in his mouth. It made me pretty teary-eyed and helped me to feel an outpouring of love for the children we have been blessed to have and hold despite the fatigue and impatience I feel after waking up 4 times in the night to care for them when they are sick/hungry.
I also love the letter Keziah's daughter Amanda wrote to her posterity in the Relief Society box found here. ( also in the Jesse Knight Family book)
A few of my favorite parts are:
Provo, Utah March 25, 1881
To my dear
children and my grandchildren who may be living when the box which
contains this letter shall be opened and the fingers that penned these
lines gone back to mother earth.
I conjure
you, my dear children, to be faithful in all your covenants that you
make in the Church. Pay all your tithes and offerings with an eye single
to the glory of God and be faithful to the end of your days. It is the
great love I bear you that causes me to pen you these few lines, the
last you will have from me on this earth. It is the voice of your mother
and grandmother speaking to you from the grave, calling upon you to
live near your God and do all that you can that is left undone for our
dead.
...
And now, my
beloved children and children’s children, down to the latest generation:
Be true to yourself and to your religion and to your God for there is
no exaltation outside of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints.
I might write
much mere but we are told to be as brief as possible that there may be
room in the box for all. If any of my dear children are living when this
come to hand, I hope they will think much of what I have written, for
it is with pure motive. Now do all you can for yourselves, my darlings,
and: for the building up of the Kingdom of God en the earth, and may God
bless you all, is the prayer of your loving Mother and Grandmother.
AMANDA M. McEWAN
To her loving children and grandchildren to the latest generation.
This makes me think of the scripture in Malachi regarding the hearts of the children being turned to their fathers. What a privilege it is to be able to read the thoughts and experienced of those I am linked to and to gain strength from their example and help me count the blessings I enjoy today!

I often think when I am having some frustrations in my day that my life everyday is so much easier than those who were before, and really I have no reason to complain, and every reason to be happy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your diligence in searching for these wonderful accounts of your ancestors. We are so blessed because they were willing to sacrifice so much. We can never do enough to show our gratitude - but may we never forget their sacrifice.
ReplyDelete