Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

What I wish I Learned in School

I learned a lot of good things in school but somehow over the years I missed out on some basic knowledge.  Wish they had a class called "Homeowner 101" with some practical tips like...

The furnace filter should face the furnace & be changed regularly. I knew it should be changed (although I didn't do it every 3 mos), but unfortunately I guessed the wrong direction on the airflow which cost me about $100 in furnace repairs today since our furnace was only blowing cold air on the first snow day of the year:)

If you have children don't buy an "easy  change" toilet paper roll holder  that  the roll just slides off of.  The new rolls "drop off" into the trash way too often!

When designing cabinets, think about the light overhead.  We have a major design flaw where the linen cabinet door can't open without hitting (& someday shattering) the light fixture.  Waiting to bite the bullet to replace the light/fan.

Choose dirt colored carpet if you have kids:)

Don't leave fertilizer with iron in it on your sidewalks.

Don't plant raspberries next to your AC unit or you'll be pruning constantly :)

Good things:
I have a home that I can pay to repair
Having a 2 year old who loves to unload the dishwasher & put stuff where it belongs


1 comment:

  1. I love the carpet idea, that really is the best, getting carpet that doesn't show dirt.

    ReplyDelete