Daniel's basketball team won the local tournament. I really enjoyed watching his game. I have to admit that I have a love/hate relationship with sports. I love how they engage my boys in meaningful physical activity and they learn from working as a team. The travel, $ and time commitment that it requires is so hard for me to swallow. But hearing my son give genuine compliments and encouragement to others on his team really makes my day.
Jared asked the kids at dinner the other night about what they had done that week to reach out and lift others up. Daniel shared an incident where a boy at school wanted to join the group playing a sport. Some other kids didn't want to him to interrupt the game or join their team because he was less skilled, but Dan said "You can be on my team," even though he realized this would make it a lot more challenging for his team to do well. It touched my heart when I heard this. I hope my kids can always see sports in proper perspective. It certainly feels good to be #1, but it feels even better when you can put being #1 aside in order to build up someone else.
Monday, May 2, 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment