Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Self Reliance

The Hard Way!

At our Stake Conference a few weeks ago, we were encouraged to become more self-reliant and set a few goals in areas like health, finances, education, food storage, etc.
So I've been trying improve in some of these areas.
After training for the fun run with my kids for the last few weeks, this morning I moved on to the next level of my workout videos. But after 30+ minutes the baby was fussing and I was getting too tired to use her as the replacement for my "walk away the pounds weighted balls" any more... so I fast forwarded to the cool down.
I got a great deal on spinach this week - only $1 for a huge carton full. I actually enjoy it, and was steaming some for my lunch when the phone rang... which prompted me to check my email and get a little sidetracked reading a few piano blogs (that's furthering my education right?) when.... I went to kitchen and discovered some interesting odors emanating from my spinach pot. Let's just say the garden got a little bit of extra "organic material" for lunch and our house got a nice cool airing out.
I thought I'd help my family acclimate to whole wheat, rotate my food storage and save a few pennies by trying out my sister's recipe for homemade hamburger buns. I made up the dough and set them in the slightly warm oven to raise.
Next project... homemade granola. Emily and I had some fun stirring this together. I started preheating the oven.
Oops! I forgot about the raising hamburger buns. I don't think they'll be raising quite like I had hoped.
Back to the granola. I went to put it on the cookie sheets- but unfortunately, one of them was already filled up with hamburger buns!
To top it all off, Rebecca comes in the room and says, "Mom, where did you get those pants? (the ones I could finally bring up from my box in the basement and actually zip up after many months of exercise)- They look like Grandma pants!"

Fatigue, Burnt Spinach, Flat Buns, Not Enough Pans, Bad Pants-
Maybe I'm getting too old to be Self-reliant!

Good Things:
Having Parents Who Taught Me to Enjoy "Self-reliance"
The Smell of Cinnamon and Bread Coming from my kitchen
Pulling Clothes out of Storage
Agreeing with my husband on Most Financial Matters
Conference Talks Online
Seeing Cute Smiles On My Baby's Face as I lift her in the air
Piano Ideas At my Fingertips
Cooking with Kids
I'm not a pioneer cooking over a fire!

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree, I too think I am too old for self reliance...You're good to do it! I was looking at your other post about your games. I love love love playing Life. My kids love it too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hee hee! You're great! I love it! Better get rid of the grandma pants.....but that means you get to go shopping!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed with how motivated you are! And seriously jealous of the getting pants out of storage thing! I have been slacking BIG time on exercise...and Thanksgiving Dinner didn't help at all either :)

    ReplyDelete