I think I've always been an idealist. I like reading inspiring books with happy endings. As a child and college student, I envisioned the perfectly organized home I'd run some day... children wake up and quickly and happily complete their chores, get ready for school, then sit down to some nice peaceful family scripture study and prayer before heading off for the day. Then they come home to a happy mom who is just waiting to hear about their day while eating the milk and cookies I've made for them...etc. I have my ideas about the ideal Sunday too... after attending church, everyone comes home for a peaceful afternoon of scripture stories, gospel discussions, church magazine stories, scripture videos, with hymns and primary songs playing in the background. Of course there wouldn't be any fighting or arguing or kids running outside in the mud:0) But I've found that parenthood is more like the "train ride" analogy that President Hinckley gave once. There are some beautiful vistas to enjoy along the way, but plenty of rough or boring terrain in between. The trick is to enjoy the ride. Reaching ideals is a whole lot harder than thinking about them.
A few weeks ago I revisited "The Friend" website on www.lds.org and discovered the "Mormon Radio" link as well. I am loving these resources for Sundays- especially when I am so ready for nap. I love the music playing in the background while the kids play matching games with the prophets or put together scripture picture puzzles.
Last week when I was heading for a nap I found the "Mormon Messages" link on Youtube. It was so inspiring to watch some of the humanitarian aid videos, I never could pull myself away for the nap and my kids all started gathering around to watch it too. I love days like that!
Sunday still doesn't reach my "ideal" expectations most weeks... but I'm going to keep on trying. It's better to try and fail then to have never have tried at all.
Just writing about this makes me appreciate my mom and the efforts she made to make the Sabbath a special day in our home growing up. I have fond memories playing "Zion" "LDS Sketch Charades" & "Know Your Gospel" with my brother Matt. And thanks to the dramatized version of the scriptures that we listened to over and over I think we can all quote with a lot of feeling the words from 3 Nephi 8:25 "O that we had repented before this great and terrible day, and had not killed and stoned the prophets, and cast them out; then would our mothers and our fair daughters, and our children have been spared, and not have been buried up in that great city Moronihah."
We usually had a pretty nice meal on Sundays too. I haven't quite reached that ideal yet as I'd rather "rest" from preparing meals on Sunday since cooking isn't my favorite thing - but I guess I better go throw a little something together.
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment