![]() |
| Baptism Day |
Emily topped off her baptism day with her first chance to attend Women's Conference. I loved the spiritual feast and especially loved Elder Uchtdorf's remarks. His recurring themes of gratitude and optimism are the reminders that I need to hear over and over.
I was touched by the testimonies of song and word from members throughout the world, especially the faces of the Asian primary children as they sang I Love to See the Temple. Of course tears were streaming down my face as I listened to the sister who testified of the peace of the temple despite losing all 6 of her children in an earthquake. I can't imagine going through that type of devastating loss, but it makes me think of Elder Uchtdorf's reminder. "I think God knows something we don't." He knows which trials will refine us and prepare us and turn us to him so we can gradually become like him as we sacrifice our wills to his.
Some of my favorite thoughts (unofficial quotes from my notes) from the evening were,
"Where much is required, much more will be given."
Although our lives seem to be so busy because of the ages of our children and church responsibilities, I know the Lord sustains us and sometimes it is through the "requirements" that we receive the guidance to make it through. Because Jared was off to his early morning Sunday high council meetings, he was able to hear the testimony of one of the stalwart missionaries from our ward who just returned. He took the time to gather our older kids together last night to share some of his impressions with them which brought an extra measure of peace into our home. Although his church responsibilities takes him away from home, it enriches our home.
"If you want to be a light to others you have to glow yourself."
Three friends that are an example to me in this way are Renee Walker, Wendi Baggaley and Jessica Peterson. I know that they have heavy challenges to bear just like the rest of us, but I love the example of optimism they set for me as they tend to so often have a glowing smile on their faces and positive things to say, even when they are down.
"A mother can exert influence like not other." I thought of the sacrifices my mother made to stay up late helping with school projects, committing us to keep our covenants as she scratched our backs, being there at the crossroads when I came home from school, and continually setting an example of scripture study and prayer. I enjoyed visiting with my mom when she came up this weekend. And one gem of wisdom that she shared with me as we were washing dishes was "I wish I hadn't been so strict about getting the work done before you play." I know she's right, but just like her, I find it hard to make time for play (for myself and with my kids), because there is always more work to be done even though eternally it is not really going to matter if their rooms were cleaned every day or not.
I loved the nostalgic picture of Sister Marriott with her large family on lined up on the beach. It was a reminder to me that I want to enjoy the journey more. Yesterday as I discovered a sweet thank you note from Rebecca on my nightstand, I felt so blessed to have the opportunity to be her mother. I love seeing her indexing names and starting to join me in diving into family history work.
Heavenly Father is constantly raining blessings upon us. We need to close the umbrella and accept them.
LIVE THE GOSPEL JOYFULLY :)



Beautiful! I love those days.... days to enjoy family and celebrate happy days! It's always so unfortunately that there have to be dishes and stress involved... but you never remember that do you? I'm like you - I always want to get the work done and don't leave enough time to play. I regret that so much. I think that will be my resolution from this women's conference! Thanks for the reminder!
ReplyDelete