Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tender Mercies

I love Elder Bednar's talk about the tender mercies of the Lord as he grants us so many blessings. A few months ago I received one of these in the form of an exercise bike. I've never liked to exercise, but since Jared's work started giving monetary incentives to its employees (and spouses) for completing the wellness challenges. I determined that I was going to participate. I've realized that money really motivates me - even if its just $200 a year. I kept looking for a bike at the DI with no luck. Then someone in our ward was dejunking before their move and wanted to get rid of their old organ. When we went to get it they asked if we knew anyone who would like an exercise bike. I jumped at the offer.
This morning I actually enjoyed exercising, because I could read the new April 2009 Ensign (www.lds.org) at the same time and take my mind off of the challenge. I love these inspiring words from Elder Eyring. "For every hour the power of doctrine is introduced into a child's life, there may be hundreds of hours of messages and images denying or ignoring the saving truths. The question should not be whether we are too tired to prepare to teach doctrine or whether it would be better to draw a child closer by just having fun or whether the child is beginning to think that we preach too much. The question must be, "With so little time and so few opportunities, what words of doctrine from me will fortify them against the attacks on their faith which are sure to come? The words you speak today may be the ones they remember. And today will soon be gone." I am grateful that I can exercise and receive inspiration at the same time, and I'm grateful to Elder Eyring for reminding me to live in thanksgiving daily. That's partly why I decided that blogging was for me. So now I better sign off and to teach my children something worthwhile.

1 comment:

  1. I love those little blessings that mean so much. It is funny to me that money motivates you so much! I never would have guessed...

    ReplyDelete