Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Wrestling is not for weak mothers!

We went to another wrestling tournament this week for Jacob. I've discovered that wrestling makes a lot of boys cry - but not Jacob, just his mom. I used to always ask my mom why she was always crying in church during the hymns. Now I think my tear ducts are more productive than hers. I choked up when I watched Daniel lose both of his matches last week- because it hurts to see him look so defeated. Then I cried when Jacob easily pinned both boys at his first match, because I hated to see the other boys cry and I was happy to see what a good sport Jacob was. He looked like he was sad for the losers and his coach reminded him its okay to crack a smile when you win. He set the goal to get a gold medal yesterday so he would have 3 golds and 3 silvers. He has 11 wins and 3 losses so far. He had a couple of tough matches, but he won both and I choked up again to see him work so hard to win. I love to watch his determination to improve as he focuses intently on everything his coaches and his dad are teaching him. He loves to run laps in the backyard, do situps and pushups and ride his bike to get stronger. The other day he took my weights so he could get stronger while riding my exercise bike. I wish I could have that kind of passion for exercise! So even though I don't like the tears that wrestling brings, I love to see his confidence growing.

3 comments:

  1. It's good that you go. My mom didn't like to go to my matches either, but she was always there. It meant a lot to me to see her there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Jacob is doing great in wrestling! I think I may go through the same thing in a few years with our boy. It's funny how having kids seems to open up those tear ducts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My stomach has indeed gotten tougher watching wrestling matches! I have two wrestling and at the end of a LONG wrestling tournament, I'm exhausted! Many, many years in school gyms to come!

    ReplyDelete