This was a busy week. AfterParent Teacher Conferences, helping at the book fair, Music Club Meeting, piano preschool, Tee ball games, a ward baptism, piano lessons and choir practice, we had Stake Conference on Saturday & Sunday to rejuvenate. We rushed off to the adult session last night to sing in the choir and I was so sad because I forgot my notebook. Jared was so nice he passed his notebook through the choir over to me so now I can remember all of the inspiration I received a little bit better. He is so thoughtful. (Rebecca -my editor- says "That's why you married him mom!" - and its true.)
Elder Craig Zwick from the Seventy came. I especially loved his wife's talk. Her theme was from Jacob 5:41 - What could I have done more? Although we are usually trying our best in life, there is always more we can do to improve. She related several life experiences where she wished she would have done things differently. I can definitely think of plenty in my own life. Here are a few of my notes - it is a little bit of what she said mixed with what came to my mind while she spoke.
Happiness in daily life comes from making deliberate decisions to do good and carrying them out.
I think I make a lot of decisions to do good- especially at night when all the kids are asleep and I am feeling peace, but it is so much harder to actually carry them out the next day when life becomes a whirlwind.
1- Don't let the world get into your heart. Sister Zwick shared a story about when as newlyweds, her husband "surprised" her by getting them a new (old klunker) car. She had formerly been driving a really nice convertible that was her parents. When she saw her husband pull up excitedly in an old white "klunker" he just bought for them with his hard earned money, her dissappointment was apparent in her face. She wished she could go back and change her reaction now.
This made me think of one of my regrets from high school. I remember a really shy boy calling me the night before Sweethearts to ask me out. I didn't date too much and I said yes although I didn't know what I was going to wear. $ was really tight in our family then, & I thought the "dress" was formal and figured I didn't have anything suitable to wear. I knew we couldn't afford to rent anything and didn't think I could find something to borrow on such short notice. With a little persuasion from my mom, I called the boy back and told him I couldn't go because I didn't have anything to wear. Later when I saw my friends pictures, I discovered my plain church dresses would have been just fine. I have always felt bad that I worried more about how I looked than how another person felt. I was too embarrassed to apologize.
2. Use the scriptures as a guide for your life.
Proverbs 3: 5-6¶ aTrust in the Lord with all thine bheart; and lean not unto thine cown dunderstanding.
6 In all thy ways aacknowledge him, and he shall bdirect thy cpaths.
I've always loved this scripture. Sister Zwick shared how this counsel had helped her with the challenges of parenting their first born son who was born with physical and mental delays.
3. Don't let secondary things get in the way of essential things.
The most important yes we can say to our children is "Yes, I have time for you."
I think that was my favorite quote from the whole conference. (Rebecca who is reading beside me disagrees, She says the most important yes is "Yes you can have some candy")
So my house may be a little bit messier, but this week I want to make a few more memories by playing Old Maid with Dan, Cooking with Chef Rebecca, throwing the ball with Jacob and dancing with Emily.
That makes me think of this quote from our prophet,
"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly." - Pres. Thomas Monson
I'm so glad for the Saturday night adult sessions. My inspiration was quite a bit more sparse while we wrestled keeping 4 kids quiet on the bench for 2 !/2 hours.
I've always loved this scripture. Sister Zwick shared how this counsel had helped her with the challenges of parenting their first born son who was born with physical and mental delays.
3. Don't let secondary things get in the way of essential things.
The most important yes we can say to our children is "Yes, I have time for you."
I think that was my favorite quote from the whole conference. (Rebecca who is reading beside me disagrees, She says the most important yes is "Yes you can have some candy")
So my house may be a little bit messier, but this week I want to make a few more memories by playing Old Maid with Dan, Cooking with Chef Rebecca, throwing the ball with Jacob and dancing with Emily.
That makes me think of this quote from our prophet,
"If you are still in the process of raising children, be aware that the tiny fingerprints that show up on almost every newly cleaned surface, the toys scattered about the house, the piles and piles of laundry to be tackled will disappear all too soon and that you will—to your surprise—miss them profoundly." - Pres. Thomas Monson
I'm so glad for the Saturday night adult sessions. My inspiration was quite a bit more sparse while we wrestled keeping 4 kids quiet on the bench for 2 !/2 hours.
I'm glad you shared this. I wasn't able to go to the adult session because I was feeling really sick. Stake conference was great for me though because Dave got to sit with me and help with Elli. The other kids were amazingly good for 2 hours! Who was the Sweethearts date? I have plenty of things that I wish I could have changed, but I guess we learn from them and hopefully will react better next time!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a fabulous talk, thanks for sharing some of the highlights!
ReplyDelete