This talk by apostle Elder David Bednar was one of my favorites this conference. I can't wait to read it again in print. His 3 areas of counsel about strengthening our family relationships were
1. Express love and show it
2. Bear Testimony (Bear it, mean it, live it)
3. Be Consistent (w/ family prayer, scriptures and family home evening)
I feel that it is somewhat ironic that now that I am "living my dreams" of being a stay-at-home mom, sometimes (too often) I just want to be alone, even though I love my kids very much. I spend so much time serving them by washing clothes, doing dishes, fixing meals that by the end of the day I'm not as available to them as I'd like to be. But time is passing too fast and my time "at-home" with Rebecca is already half over if she leaves for college at 18. That makes me sad, and I want to be better at showing my children how much I love them, sharing my testimony of the gospel of the Jesus Christ and being even more consistent in doing the important things with them like family prayer and scripture reading instead of just rushing through it before they run out the door to the bus.
My mind was filled with specific things I need to do to improve. This talk made me think of Daniel singing a solo for our family night last week. He sang "The family is of God" while I tried to play the piano music throught my tear-blurred eyes. I love that song! It says
"Our father has a family, its me, its you all others too we are his children
He sent each one of us to earth from birth to live and learn here in families.
God gave us families to help us become what he wants us to be
This is how he shared his love
For the family is of God"
It just makes me smile thinking of him singing the word "children" with a bit of a country twang:0)
Good things:
Listening to 2 sessions of Conference w/ no interruptions (thanks to Jared's parents)
Family Night
New Inspiring Primary Songs
Family
Sunday, October 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I loved that talk too. It got me thinking about what kind of example I am really setting for my kids. I need to slow down and spend quality time to really teach them. I hope you had a great conference weekend!
ReplyDeleteThis was definitely one of my favorite talks as well. I think you feel just the same as a lot of mothers out there. I never feel like I give enough to my kids, but I think we are too hard on ourselves. However, I think it's great that we feel the need to stretch and grow. Thanks for the blog info. I will love reading it often!
ReplyDelete